- Special weight or forcefulness given to something considered important.
- He paused for emphasis before saying who had won.
- Special attention or prominence given to something.
- Anglia TV's emphasis is on Norwich and district.
- Prominence given to a syllable or words, by raising the voice or printing in italic or underlined type.
- He used a yellow highlighter to indicate where to give emphasis in his speech.
- (phonology) The phonetic or phonological feature that distinguishes emphatic consonants from other consonants.
- (typography) The use of boldface.
- French: accent, emphase
- German: Betonung, Nachdruck
- Portuguese: ênfase
- Russian: подчёркивание
- Spanish: énfasis, hincapié