empower (empowers, present participle empowering; past and past participle empowered)
- (transitive) To give permission, power, or the legal right to do something.
- (transitive) To give someone more confidence and/or strength to do something, often by enabling them to increase their control over their own life or situation.
- John found that starting up his own business empowered him greatly in social situations.
- (give permission to) ban, bar, forbid, prohibit
- (give confidence to) disempower, dishearten, disspirit
- French: autoriser
- German: bevollmächtigen, (to zu) ermächtigen, (to zu) befähigen
- Italian: dare potere, permettere
- Portuguese: dar poderes a
- Russian: уполномо́чивать
- Spanish: empoderar, dar permiso