- (America) IPA: /ɛnˈkʌm.pəs/, /ɪnˈkʌm.pəs/
encompass (encompasses, present participle encompassing; past and past participle encompassed)
- (transitive) To form a circle around; to encircle.
- (transitive) To include within its scope; to circumscribe or go round so as to surround; to enclose; to contain.
- (transitive) To include completely; to describe fully or comprehensively.
- This book on English grammar encompasses all irregular verbs.
- (transitive) To go around, especially, to circumnavigate.
- Drake encompassed the globe.
- French: encercler
- German: umschließen, umgeben, umfassen
- Italian: circondare
- Portuguese: cercar, circundar
- Russian: окружа́ть
- Spanish: circundar
- French: entourer
- German: umfassen, enthalten, einschließen
- Italian: racchiudere, comprendere
- Portuguese: rodear, circundar, conter
- Russian: охва́тывать
- Spanish: rodear, circundar
- French: englober, inclure, comprendre, renfermer
- German: umfassen, beinhalten, abdecken
- Italian: includere, racchiudere, circoscrivere
- Portuguese: compreender, abarcar, englobar
- Russian: включа́ть
- Spanish: abarcar, englobar