- IPA: /ɪnˈɡeɪdʒd/, /ɛnˈɡeɪdʒd/
- Simple past tense and past participle of engage
engaged (not comparable)
- Agreed to be married.
- Busy or employed.
- Greatly interested.
- (British) (of a telephone) Already involved in a telephone call when a third party calls
- I tried calling, but she (or her phone) was engaged.
- (architecture, of a column) attached to a wall or sunk into it halfway
- (of gears or cogs) in contact and in operation
- (military) being attacked or attacking
- (medicine, of a foetus) Having the widest part of its presenting part, usually the head, enter the pelvic brim or inlet.
- (of a telephone) (US) busy
- French: fiancé, fiancée
- German: verlobt
- Italian: fidanzato, fidanzata, impegnato, impegnata
- Portuguese: noivo
- Russian: помо́лвленный
- Spanish: comprometido
- French: engagé
- German: besetzt
- Portuguese: ocupado
- Russian: за́нятый
- Spanish: comunicado (Spain), ocupado (Latin America)