- IPA: /ɪnˈɡeɪd͡ʒ.mənt/
- (countable) An appointment, especially to speak or perform.
- The lecturer has three speaking engagements this week.
- (uncountable) Connection or attachment.
- Check the gears for full engagement before turning the handle.
- (uncountable, by extension, about human emotional state) The feeling of being compelled, drawn in, connected to what is happening, interested in what will happen next.
- (countable, uncountable) The period of time when marriage is planned or promised.
- We are enjoying a long engagement, but haven't yet set a date.
- (countable, uncountable) In any situation of conflict, an actual instance of active hostilities.
- The engagement resulted in many casualties.
- (fencing, countable) The point at which the fencers are close enough to join blades, or to make an effective attack during an encounter.
- After engagement it quickly became clear which of the fencers was going to prevail.
- Russian: вовлечённость
- French: fiançailles
- German: Verlobung, Verlöbnis
- Italian: fidanzamento
- Portuguese: noivado
- Russian: помо́лвка
- Spanish: noviazgo
- Russian: соедине́ние