- IPA: /ɪnˈlaɪtn̩/, /ənˈlaɪtn̩/
enlighten (enlightens, present participle enlightening; past and past participle enlightened)
- (transitive) To supply with light.
- Synonyms: illumine, illuminate, Thesaurus:illuminate
- Antonyms: endarken
- The sun enlightens the Earth.
- (transitive, figurative) To make something clear to (someone); to give knowledge or understanding to.
- Synonyms: apprise, notify, inform
- French: éclairer
- Italian: illuminare
- Portuguese: iluminar
- Russian: освеща́ть
- Spanish: iluminar, alumbrar
- French: éclairer, informer
- German: aufklären
- Portuguese: iluminar, esclarecer
- Russian: просвеща́ть
- Spanish: ilustrar