- IPA: /ɪˈskʌtʃən/
escutcheon (plural escutcheons)
- (heraldry) An individual or corporate coat of arms.
- (heraldiccharge) A small shield used to charge a larger one.
- (medicine) The pattern of distribution of hair upon the pubic mound.
- A marking upon the back of a cow's udder and the space above it (the perineum), formed by the hair growing upward or outward instead of downward. It was once taken as an index of milking qualities.
- Synonyms: milk mirror
- (nautical) The part of a ship's stern where its name is displayed.
- A decorative and/or protective plate or bezel to fill the gap between a switch, pipe, valve, control knob, etc., and the surface from which it protrudes.
- The insignia around a doorknob's exterior hardware or a door lock's cosmetic plate.
- The depression behind the beak of certain bivalves; the ligamental area.
- French: écusson
- Portuguese: escudete