- Intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest, or an enlightened inner circle.
- The writing in this manual is very esoteric; I’d need a degree in engineering just to understand it!
- Having to do with concepts that are highly theoretical and without obvious practical application; often with mystical or religious connotations.
- Confidential; private.
- an esoteric purpose
- an esoteric meeting
- (understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle) arcane, recondite
- (highly theoretical; not practical) cerebral
- (confidential; private) secretive
- French: ésotérique
- German: esoterisch
- Italian: esoterico
- Portuguese: esotérico
- Russian: эзотери́ческий
- Spanish: esotérico
esoteric (plural esoterics)
- An esoteric doctrine or treatise; esoteric philosophy.
- One who believes, or is an initiate, in esoteric doctrines or rites.