exacerbate (exacerbates, present participle exacerbating; past and past participle exacerbated)
- (transitive) To make worse (a problem, bad situation, negative feeling, etc.); aggravate.
- The proposed shutdown would exacerbate unemployment problems.
- 2013, Louise Taylor, English talent gets left behind as Premier League keeps importing (in The Guardian, 20 August 2013)
- The reasons for this growing disconnect are myriad and complex but the situation is exacerbated by the reality that those English players who do smash through our game's "glass ceiling" command radically inflated transfer fees.
- French: exacerber,agraver, empirer
- German: verschlimmern, verschärfen
- Italian: esacerbare
- Portuguese: exacerbar
- Russian: ухудшать
- Spanish: exacerbar, agravar