- (Canada, America) IPA: /ˌɛkspɚˈtiːs/, /ˌɛkspɚˈtiːz/
- Great skill or knowledge in a particular field or hobby.
- The scientist has expertise in the field of nuclear fusion.
- 2014, Michael White, "Roll up, roll up! The Amazing Salmond will show a Scotland you won't believe ↗", The Guardian, 8 September 2014:
- He spoke of Scotland's hydroelectric projects in Africa, local expertise shared with the world's poor.
- Advice, or opinion, of an expert.
- French: compétence, expertise
- German: Expertise, Fachkenntnis, Sachverstand
- Italian: competenza
- Portuguese: perícia, especialidade, expertise
- Russian: компете́нтность
- Spanish: pericia, competencia, expertise