- IPA: /ˌɛkspləˈneɪʃən/
- The act or process of explaining.
- The explanation was long and drawn-out.
- Something that explains, makes understandable.
- An explanation for the UFO sightings was easily found.
- A resolution of disputed points pursuant to discussion; a mutual clarification of disputed points; reconciliation.
- (act or process of explaining) clarification; elucidation; elaboration; explaining; femsplaining (pej., particularly by a feminist to a man); mansplaining, mansplanation (pej., particularly by a man to a woman)
- French: explication
- German: Erläuterung, Erklärung, Ausführung
- Italian: spiegazione, esplicazione, chiarificazione, esegesi
- Portuguese: explicação, explanação
- Russian: объясне́ние
- Spanish: explicación
- Russian: оправда́ние