extirpate (extirpates, present participle extirpating; past and past participle extirpated)
- (transitive, obsolete) To clear an area of roots and stumps.
- (transitive) To pull up by the roots; uproot.
- Synonyms: uproot, eradicate, extricate, deracinate
- (transitive) To destroy completely; to annihilate.
- Synonyms: annihilate, destroy, eradicate, exterminate, Thesaurus:destroy
- The cougar was extirpated across nearly all of its eastern North American range in the two centuries after European colonization.
- (transitive) To surgically remove.
- Synonyms: excise
- French: extirper, annihiler
- German: ausrotten (a species or group), austilgen, ausmerzen, auslöschen
- Portuguese: extirpar
- Russian: искореня́ть
- Spanish: extirpar