- IPA: /fɑ/
fa (plural fas)
- (music) A syllable used in solfège to represent the fourth note of a major scale.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling. In Six Volumes, volume (
please specify ), London: Printed by A[ndrew] Millar, […], OCLC 928184292 ↗:
- And now Mrs Waters (for we must confess she was in the same bed), being, I suppose, awakened from her sleep, and seeing two men fighting in her bedchamber, began to scream in the most violent manner, crying out murder! robbery! and more frequently rape! which last, some, perhaps, may wonder she should mention, who do not consider that these words of exclamation are used by ladies in a fright, as fa, la, la, ra, da, &c., are in music, only as the vehicles of sound, and without any fixed ideas.
- (football) Initialism of Football Association, especially the English Football Association. See also Scottish FA and Welsh FA.
- (vulgar) Initialism of fuck all#English|fuck all.
- (euphemistic) Initialism of Fanny Adams#English|Fanny Adams.
- Initialism of Fanconi anemia#English|Fanconi anemia.
- (Wikipedia) Initialism of featured#English|featured article#English|article.
- Initialism of felonious#English|felonious assault#English|assault.
- Initialism of flight attendant#English|flight attendant.
- Initialism of fee#English|fee agreement#English|agreement.
- Initialism of fat#English|fat admirer#English|admirer.