- (transitive) To fill; to replace material that is absent or has been removed.
- After you're done laying the pipe, fill in the trench.
- (transitive, idiomatic) To inform somebody, especially to supply someone missing or missed information.
- If you know anything about this, maybe you can fill me in.
- (intransitive, idiomatic) To substitute for somebody or something.
- He can't go on vacation very often because there is nobody to fill in for him.
- (transitive, chiefly, British) To complete a form or questionnaire with requested information.
- Synonyms: fill out
- (slang) To beat up; to physically assault.
- Talk to me like that again and I'll fill you in!
- French: remplacer
- German: ersetzen
- Italian: rimpiazzare
- Portuguese: substituir
- Russian: замеща́ть
- Spanish: reemplazar, remplazar, substituir