forgive (forgives, present participle forgiving; past forgave, past participle forgiven)
- (transitive) To pardon; to waive any negative feeling or desire for punishment, retribution, or compensation.
- Forgive others, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.
- (intransitive) To accord forgiveness.
- Only the brave know how to forgive...A coward never forgave; it is not in his nature. - Laurence Sterne
- French: pardonner
- German: vergeben, verzeihen, entschuldigen
- Italian: perdonare
- Portuguese: perdoar, desculpar
- Russian: проща́ть
- Spanish: perdonar