- IPA: /fɔɹˈseɪk/
forsake (forsakes, present participle forsaking; past forsook, past participle forsaken)
- To abandon#Verb|abandon, to give up, to leave#Verb|leave (permanently), to renounce.
- 1911: Ameen Rihani, The Book of Khalid, p.39
- There may be nothing noble in renouncing one's country, in abandoning one's home, in forsaking one's people; but is there not something remarkable in this great move one makes.
- 1998, "Damien (South Park)", season 1, episode 10 of South Park
- Stan: You've got to fight, Jesus.
- Jesus: Why, what's the point? No one believes in me. Everyone put their money on Satan. My father forsaked
[sic ]me, the town forsaked [sic ]me. I'm completely forsook [sic ].
- French: abandonner, renoncer
- German: aufgeben (transitive), verlassen, im Stich lassen
- Italian: abbandonare, rinunciare
- Portuguese: abandonar
- Russian: (perfective) оста́вить
- Spanish: abandonar