- (RP) IPA: /ˈfɔːt͡ʃənɪt/, /ˈfɔːt͡ʃənət/
- (GA) IPA: /ˈfɔɹt͡ʃənɪt/, /ˈfɔɹt͡ʃnɪt/
- (GA, weak-vowel merger) IPA: [ˈfoɹt͡ʃənətʰ], [ˈfoɹt͡ʃnətʰ]
- It is a fortunate sign if the sun shines on a newly wedded couple.
- Happening by good luck or favorable chance.
- Patrick was the unlikely match-winner as Berkeley earned a fortunate victory over Chisolm.
- Favored by fortune.
- We were fortunate not to be fined for speeding.
- This is a time when we think of those less fortunate than ourselves.
- (auspicious) rosy; see also Thesaurus:auspicious
- (happening by favorable chance) lucky; see also Thesaurus:lucky
- (favored by fortune) privileged, successful; see also Thesaurus:prosperous
- German: verheißungsvoll