- Noun and adjective
graduate (plural graduates)
A person who is recognized by a university as having completed the requirements of a degree studied at the institution.
- If the government wants graduates to stay in the country they should offer more incentives.
- (US, Canada) A person who is recognized by a high school as having completed the requirements of a course of study at the school.
- (Philippines) A person who is recognized as having completed any level of education.
- A graduated (marked) cup or other container, thus fit for measuring.
- French: licencié, licenciée, diplômé, diplômée
- German: Absolvent, Absolventin
- Italian: laureato, laureata
- Portuguese: graduado
- Russian: выпускни́к
- Spanish: graduado, graduada, graduados
graduate (graduates, present participle graduating; past and past participle graduated)
- (intransitive, ergative) To be recognized by a school or university as having completed the requirements of a degree studied at the institution.
- The man graduated in 1967.
- Trisha graduated from college.
- (transitive, proscribed) To be certified as having earned a degree from; to graduate from (an institution).
- Trisha graduated college.
- (transitive) To certify (a student) as having earned a degree
- Indiana University graduated the student.
- The college graduated him as soon as he was no longer eligible to play under NCAA rules.
- (transitive) To mark (something) with degrees; to divide into regular steps or intervals, as the scale of a thermometer, a scheme of punishment or rewards, etc.
- (intransitive) To change gradually.
- sandstone which graduates into gneiss; carnelian sometimes graduates into quartz
- To prepare gradually; to arrange, temper, or modify by degrees or to a certain degree; to determine the degrees of.
- to graduate the heat of an oven
- Dyers advance and graduate their colours with salts.
- (chemistry) To bring to a certain degree of consistency, by evaporation, as a fluid.
- To taper, as the tail of certain birds.
- German: absolvieren, graduieren
- Italian: laurearsi
- Portuguese: formar-se, graduar
- Russian: око́нчить
- Spanish: graduarse
- Italian: diplomarsi
- German: graduieren
- Russian: градуи́ровать