- A selfish or excessive desire for more than is needed or deserved, especially of money, wealth, food, or other possessions.
- Synonyms: avarice, covetousness, greediness, rapacity, gluttony, Thesaurus:greed
- His greed was his undoing.
- 1885, Richard F. Burton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Night 564:
- […] But when I had bestridden the plank, quoth I to myself, "Thou deserveth all that betideth thee. All this is decreed to me of Allah (whose name be exalted!), to turn me from my greed of gain, whence ariseth all that I endure, for I have wealth galore."
- French: avidité, cupidité
- German: Gier, Habsucht, Habgier, Raffgier, Raffsucht
- Italian: avidità, ingordigia
- Portuguese: ganância, cobiça, avareza
- Russian: а́лчность
- Spanish: codicia, avaricia, gula for food, glotonería for food, avidez
greed (greeds, present participle greeding; past and past participle greeded)