- IPA: /ˈɡɹiːdi/
greedy (comparative greedier, superlative greediest)
- Having greed; consumed by selfish desires.
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Qveene. […], London: Printed [by John Wolfe] for VVilliam Ponsonbie, OCLC 960102938 ↗, book II, canto IX, stanza 14, page 311 ↗:
- For with ſuch puiſſance and impetuous maine / Thoſe Champions broke on them, that forſt the fly, / Like ſcattered Sheepe, whenas the Shepherds ſwaine / A Lyon and a Tigre doth eſpye, / With greedy pace forth ruſhing from the foreſt nye.
- Prone to overeat.
- (regular expressions) Tending to match as much text as possible.
- Antonyms: lazy, nongreedy, reluctant
- This regular expression performs a greedy match.
- (computer science, of an algorithm) That tries to find the global optimum by finding the local optimum at each stage.
- Antonyms: nongreedy
- French: avaricieux, cupide, avide
- German: gierig, habgierig, habsüchtig
- Italian: ingordo, avido
- Portuguese: ganancioso
- Russian: жа́дный
- Spanish: codicioso, avaricioso, ávido, avaro, avorazado
- French: gourmand
- German: gefräßig
- Italian: goloso
- Portuguese: guloso
- Spanish: glotón, tragón (colloquial)