guarantee (plural guarantees)
- Anything that assures a certain outcome.
- Can you give me a guarantee that he will be fit for the match?
- A legal assurance of something, e.g. a security for the fulfillment of an obligation.
- More specifically, a written declaration that a certain product will be fit for a purpose and work correctly; a warranty
- The cooker comes with a five-year guarantee.
- The person to whom a guarantee is made.
- (colloquial) A person who gives such a guarantee; a guarantor.
guarantee (guarantees, present participle guaranteeing; past and past participle guaranteed)
- To give an assurance that something will be done right.
- To assume or take responsibility for a debt or other obligation.
- To make something certain.
- The long sunny days guarantee a good crop.
- French: garantir
- German: garantieren, versichern
- Italian: garantire, assicurare
- Portuguese: garantir
- Russian: гаранти́ровать
- Spanish: garantizar, garantir