have one's cake and eat it too
- (idiomatic) To seek to have two things which are mutually incompatible (such as eating a piece of cake and yet still possessing that piece for future use).
- It's not possible to get your savings and keep the piggy bank intact. You can't have your cake and eat it too!
- French: avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre (to have the butter and the money from [selling] the butter)
- German: auf zwei Hochzeiten gleichzeitig tanzen; wasch mich, aber mach mich nicht nass
- Italian: avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca (have a full barrel and a drunk wife)
- Portuguese: ter sol na eira e chuva no nabal, querer sol na eira e chuva no nabal
- Russian: (lit.: eat the fish and not choke on its bone) и рыбку съесть, и косточкой не подавиться
- Spanish: estar a la vez en la procesión y repicando las campanas, querer el oro y el moro, nadar y tener la ropa, estar en misa y repicando, soplar y sorber, no puede ser