- (sciences, countable) Any metal that has a specific gravity greater than about 5, especially one, such as lead, that is poisonous and may be a hazard in the environment.
- (music genre, uncountable) A genre descended from rock music, characterized by massive sound, highly amplified distortion, and overall loudness, often with extended guitar solos, and lyrics that involve violent or fantastic imagery.
- (uncountable) Guns or shot of large size.
- (uncountable, figurative) Great influence or power.
- French: métal lourd
- German: Schwermetall
- Portuguese: metal pesado
- Russian: тяжёлый мета́лл
- Spanish: metal pesado
- French: heavy metal
- German: Heavy Metal, Metal
- Italian: heavy metal
- Portuguese: heavy metal, metal, rock pauleira
- Russian: хе́ви-ме́тал
- Spanish: rock pesado, heavy metal