- IPA: /ˈhiːdləs/
- Unaware, without noticing; inattentive; careless.
- Antonyms: heedful
- Sing we joyous, all together, heedless of the wind and weather.
- 1910, Emerson Hough, chapter I, in The Purchase Price: Or The Cause of Compromise, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, OCLC 639762314 ↗, page 0124 ↗:
- "A fine man, that Dunwody, yonder," commented the young captain, as they parted, and as he turned to his prisoner. "We'll see him on in Washington some day. […] A strong man—a strong one; and a heedless." ¶ "Of what party is he?" she inquired, as though casually.
- French: insouciant, inattentif, négligent
- German: unachtsam, achtlos, nicht beachtend, unaufmerksam, unaufmerksam, nicht beachtend, unachtsam
- Italian: sventato, disavveduto
- Spanish: negligente, inconsiderado, indiligente, desatento, distraído, despistado