- IPA: /ˈhɛns/
hence (not comparable)
- (archaic) from here, from this place, away
- I'm going hence, because you have insulted me.
- Get thee hence, Satan!
- 1599-1601, William Shakespeare, ''The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act 4, Scene 1:
- O Gertrude, come away! / The sun no sooner shall the mountains touch, / But we will ship him hence:
- (archaic, figuratively) from the living or from this world
- ''After a long battle, my poor daughter was taken hence.
- (archaic, of a length of time) in the future from now
- ''A year hence it will be forgotten.
- 1610-11, William Shakespeare, The Tempest, Act III, Scene i:
- […] And now farewell / Till half an hour hence.
- (conjunctive) as a result; therefore, for this reason
- ''I shall go to Japan and hence will not be here in time for the party.
- ''The purse is handmade and hence very expensive.
- 1910, Sun Tzu, Lionel Giles (translator), The Art of War, Section VI: Weak Points and Strong, 8:
- Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack.
- 1910, , Niccolò Machiavelli, Ninian Hill Thomson (translator), The Prince, Chapter VI:
- Hence it comes that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed.
- 1731 May 27, Benjamin Franklin, Apology for Printers, published in The Pennsylvania Gazette:
- That hence arises the peculiar Unhappiness of that Business, which other Callings are no way liable to;
- French: d'ici
- German: von hier, fort, von dannen
- Italian: da qui
- Portuguese: daqui
- Russian: отсю́да
- Spanish: de aquí
- French: ainsi, donc, d'où
- German: daher, deshalb, deswegen
- Italian: perciò, dunque, quindi
- Portuguese: portanto
- Russian: сле́довательно
- Spanish: por lo tanto, por eso
- French: d'ici
- (obsolete) Go away! Begone!
- "...Hence! and bestow your dead
- Where no wrong against him cries!"
- 1610-11, William Shakespeare, The Tempest, Act I Scene 2:
- MIRANDA: Beseech you, father——
- PROSPERO: Hence! Hang not on my garments.
- (very, rare) A male given name.