- IPA: /haɪˈeɪtəs/
- A gap in a series, making it incomplete.
- An interruption, break or pause.
- An unexpected break from work.
- Twenty one pilots’ hiatus seems like it‘s never going to end.
- (geology) A gap in geological strata.
- (anatomy) An opening in an organ.
- Hiatus aorticus is an opening in the diaphragm through which aorta and thoracic duct pass.
- (linguistics, uncountable) A syllable break between two vowels, without an intervening consonant. (Compare diphthong.)
- Words like reality and naïve contain vowels in hiatus.
- French: hiatus, lacune
- German: Lücke
- Italian: iato, buco, lacuna
- Portuguese: hiato, lacuna
- Russian: пробе́л
- German: Unterbrechung, Pause
- Italian: pausa, iato, interruzione, periodo sabbatico
- Russian: переры́в
- Spanish: pausa
- German: Unterbrechung, Urlaub, Ferien, Auszeit
- Italian: iato, vacanza, pausa, periodo sabbatico
- Spanish: vacaciones, descanso
- French: hiatus, discordance
- German: Hiat, Hiatus
- Italian: breccia, iato
- Russian: тре́щина
- Spanish: hiato