- (America) IPA: /hɨˈstɛɹijə/, /hɨˈstɪɹijə/
- Behavior exhibiting excessive or uncontrollable emotion, such as fear or panic.
- (medicine) A mental disorder characterized by emotional excitability etc. without an organic cause.
- (informal, pathology) Synonym of conversion disorder#English|conversion disorder
- (obsolete, pathology, until early 20th century) Any disorder of women with some psychiatric symptoms without other diagnosis, ascribed to uterine influences on the female body, lack of pregnancy, or lack of sex.
- (mental disorder) female hysteria
- (obsolete female disorder) uterine melancholy
- French: hystérie
- German: Hysterie
- Italian: isteria
- Portuguese: histeria
- Russian: истери́я
- Spanish: histeria