icon (plural icons)
- An image, symbol, picture, or other representation usually as an object of religious devotion.
- (religion, especially, Eastern Christianity) A type of religious painting portraying a saint or scene from Scripture, often done on wooden panels.
- A person or thing that is the best example of a certain profession or some doing.
- That man is an icon in the business; he personifies loyalty and good business sense.
- (computing) A small picture that represents something (such as an icon on a computer screen which when clicked performs some function.)
- (linguistics) A word, character, or sign whose form reflects and is determined by the referent; onomatopoeic words are necessarily all icons. See also symbol and index.
- (worshipped image) idol, graven image (pejorative)
- (exemplar) See Thesaurus:exemplar and Thesaurus:model
- French: icône
- German: Ikone
- Italian: icona
- Portuguese: ícone, ídolo
- Russian: ико́на
- Spanish: icono, ícono