- (America) IPA: /ˈɪmbəsɪl/, /ˈɪmbəsəl/
imbecile (plural imbeciles)
- (obsolete) A person with limited mental capacity who can perform tasks and think only like a young child, in medical circles meaning a person who lacks the capacity to develop beyond the mental age of a normal five to seven-year-old child.
- (pejorative) A fool#Noun|fool, an idiot#Noun|idiot.
- See also Thesaurus:idiot
- French: imbécile
- German: Zurückgebliebener, Behinderter
- Italian: tarato
- Portuguese: imbecil
- Russian: имбеци́л
- Spanish: imbécil
- (dated) Destitute of strength, whether of body or mind; feeble; impotent; especially, mentally weak.
- hospitals for the imbecile and insane