- IPA: /ɪmˈpɹuːvmənt/
- The act of improving; advancement or growth; a bettering
- I look upon your city as the best place of improvement.
- Exercise is the chief source of improvement in all our faculties.
- The act of making profitable use or application of anything, or the state of being profitably employed; practical application, for example of a doctrine, principle, or theory, stated in a discourse.
- A good improvement of his reason.
- 1681, John Tillotson, A sermon preached at the funeral of the Reverend Mr Thomas Gouge
- I shall make some improvement of this doctrine.
- The state of being improved; betterment; advance
- Something which is improved
- the new edition is an improvement on the old.
- The parts of Sinon, Camilla, and some few others, are improvements on the Greek poet.
- Increase; growth; progress; advance.
- Those vices which more particularly receive improvement by prosperity.
- (in plural) Valuable additions or betterments, for example buildings, clearings, drains, fences, etc., on premises.
- (Patent Laws): A useful addition to, or modification of, a machine, manufacture, or composition.
- improval, amelioration
- French: amélioration
- German: Verbesserung
- Italian: miglioramento, salto di qualità
- Portuguese: melhora, melhoramento, melhoria
- Russian: улучше́ние
- Spanish: mejora, mejoramiento, enmienda, mejoría