in the world
- (idiomatic) Expletive used for emphasis, for example after an interrogative word.
- What in the world was that?
- Who in the world would want to do that?
- 1900, L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Chapter 24
- "My darling child!" she cried, folding the little girl in her arms and covering her face with kisses. "Where in the world did you come from?"
- Used for emphasis after a qualified noun.
- the happiest girl in the world
- Synonyms: on the face of the earth
- seeSynonyms en
- French: au monde
- German: in aller Welt, in Gottes Namen, in Herrgotts Namen, um Himmels willen