- Unskilled; lacking the degree of ability that would normally be expected.
- Having an incompetent lawyer may be grounds for a retrial, but the lawyer in question probably doesn't know that.
- Unable to make rational decisions, insane or otherwise cognitively impaired.
- The charged was judged incompetent to stand trial, at least until his medication started working.
- (medical) Of the cervix: opening too early in pregnancy, provoking the baby to be born.
- See also Thesaurus:bad
- French: incompétent
- German: inkompetent, unfähig
- Portuguese: incompetente
- Russian: некомпете́нтный
- Spanish: incompetente
incompetent (plural incompetents)
- A person who is incompetent.