- IPA: /ɪnˈdɛmnɪti/
- Security from damage, loss, or penalty.
- (legal) An obligation or duty upon an individual to incur the losses of another.
- Repayment; compensation for loss or injury.
- (legal) The right of an injured party to shift the loss onto the party responsible for the loss.
- (insurance) A principle of insurance which provides that when a loss occurs, the insured should be restored to the approximate financial condition occupied before the loss occurred, no better, no worse.
- French: garantie
- Portuguese: indenidade
- French: indemnité
- German: Erstattung, Rückzahlung, Kompensation
- Portuguese: indenização, indenidade
- Russian: компенса́ция
- Spanish: indemnización
- Russian: гара́нтия от убыток
- French: compensation
- Russian: индемните́т
- Spanish: indemnidad