- IPA: /ˌɪndʒəˈn(j)uːəti/
- The ability to solve difficult problems, often in original, clever, and inventive ways.
- The pyramids demonstrate the ingenuity of the ancient Egyptians.
- Poverty is the mother of ingenuity.
- Ingenuity is one of the characteristics of a beaver.
- (now rare) Ingenuousness; honesty, straightforwardness
- 1603, Michel de Montaigne, chapter 17, in John Florio, transl., The Essayes, […], book II, printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821 ↗:
- And therefore I apply my selfe to ingenuitie, and ever to speake truth and what I think […].
- French: ingéniosité
- German: Einfallsreichtum, Findigkeit, Raffinesse, Scharfsinn
- Italian: ingegnosità, ingegno
- Portuguese: engenhosidade
- Russian: нахо́дчивость
- Spanish: ingenio