- IPA: /ɪnˈhɛɹətəns/
- The passing of title to an estate upon death.
- (countable) That which a person is entitled to inherit, by law or testament.
- (uncountable, especially, linguistics, biology) The act or mechanism of inheriting; the state of having inherited
- The Indo-European languages share various similarities as a result of their inheritance from a common ancestor.
- (biology, genetic algorithms) The biological attributes passed hereditarily from ancestors to their offspring.
- (programming, object-oriented) The mechanism whereby parts of a superclass are available to instances of its subclass.
- French: héritage
- German: Erbe, Erbteil
- Italian: eredità
- Portuguese: herança
- Russian: насле́дство
- Spanish: herencia