- (GA) IPA: /ɪn.ˈʃʊɹ.əns/, /ɪn.ˈʃɝ.əns/
- (RP) IPA: /ɪn.ˈʃʊə.ɹəns/, /ɪn.ˈʃɔː.ɹəns/
- (Southern US) IPA: /ˈɪn.ʃɚəns/
- A means of indemnity against a future occurrence of an uncertain event.
- The car was totalled, but fortunately I had insurance.
- The business of providing insurance.
- After five years in banking, I switched to insurance.
- (figurative) Any attempt to forestall an unfavorable event.
- The sky was clear, but I took my umbrella for insurance.
- (blackjack) A bet made after the deal, which pays off if the dealer has blackjack.
- I only take insurance if the count is right.
- (countable) An insurance policy
- French: assurance
- German: Versicherung
- Italian: assicurazione
- Portuguese: seguro (1)
- Russian: страхо́вка
- Spanish: seguro