introit (plural introits)
- The action of entering or going in; an entrance.
- (figuratively, obsolete) An introduction.
- (Roman Catholicism) A psalm sung or chanted immediately before the collect, epistle, and gospel, and while the priest is entering within the rails of the altar, which begins with this verse: «Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine».
- (Roman Catholicism) A part of a psalm or other portion of Scripture read by the priest at Mass immediately after ascending to the altar.
- An anthem or psalm sung before the Communion service.
- Any composition of vocal music appropriate to the opening of church services.