- IPA: /dʒeɪl/
- A place or institution for the confinement of persons held in lawful custody or detention, especially for minor offenses or with reference to some future judicial proceeding.
- (uncountable) Confinement in a jail.
- (horse racing) The condition created by the requirement that a horse claimed in a claiming race not be run at another track for some period of time (usually 30 days).
- In dodgeball and related games, the area where players who have been struck by the ball are confined.
- (computing, FreeBSD) A kind of sandbox for running a guest operating system instance.
- French: prison, geôle
- German: Gefängnis
- Italian: carcere, prigione, gattabuia, fresco
- Portuguese: cadeia, cárcere
- Russian: тюрьма
- Spanish: cárcel, prisión, presidio, penal, penitenciaría
- Italian: isolamento
jail (jails, present participle jailing; past and past participle jailed)
- To imprison.