je ne sais quoi
- (British) IPA: /ˌʒə nə seɪ ˈkwɑː/
- (America) IPA: /ˌʒə nə seɪ ˈkwɑ/
- (emulating French) IPA: /ˌʒə n(ə) sɛ ˈkwɑː/
je ne sais quoi (uncountable)
- An indefinable quality that makes something distinctive or attractive.
- She has a certain je ne sais quoi about her.
- 1894, George du Maurier, “Part Second”, in Trilby: A Novel, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, OCLC 174215199 ↗, page 85 ↗:
- "Say, you others, I find that the Englishman has something of truly distinguished in the voice, something of sympathetic, of touching—something of je ne sais quoi!" Bouchardy: "Yes, yes—something of je ne sais quoi! That's the very phrase— [...]"
- French: je ne sais quoi, je-ne-sais-quoi, Dieu sait quoi, on ne sait quoi
- German: gewisse Etwas
- Italian: non so che
- Portuguese: não-sei-quê
- Russian: этакий
- Spanish: no sé qué