- (America, CA) IPA: /ˈkɪndəɹˌɡɑːɹt(ə)n/, /ˈkɪndəɹˌɡɑːɹd(ə)n/, [ˈkʰɪn(d)əɹˌɡɑːɹt̬(ə)n], [ˈkʰɪɾ̃əɹˌɡɑːɹʔn̩]
- (British) IPA: /ˈkɪndəˌɡɑːt(ə)n/
kindergarten (plural kindergartens)
- An educational institution for young children, usually between ages 4 and 6; nursery school. [from 1852]
- (US) The elementary school grade before first grade.
- (Philippines) The two levels between nursery and prep; the second and third years of preschool.
- kindergärten (obsolete plural)
- French: maternelle, jardin d'enfants, école maternelle
- German: Vorschule; Kindergarten (but the latter is not seen as a school, rather as a form of day care)
- Italian: asilo
- Portuguese: jardim de infância, parquinho
- Russian: де́тский сад
- Spanish: parvulario jardín de infancia, jardín infantil, (Latin America) kínder