lacuna (plural lacunae)
- A small opening; a small pit or depression
- a small blank space; a gap or vacancy; a hiatus.
- An absent part, especially in a book or other piece of writing, often referring to an ancient manuscript or similar.
- Long lacunae in this inscription make interpretation difficult.
- (microscopy) A space visible between cells, allowing free passage of light.
- (translation studies) A language gap, which occurs when there is no direct translation in the target language for a lexical term found in the source language.
- German: lexikalish
- Spanish: vacío léxico, laguna léxica