- A tough material produced from the skin of animals, by tanning or similar process, used e.g. for clothing.
- A piece of the above used for polishing.
- (colloquial) A cricket ball or football.
- (plural: leathers) clothing made from the skin of animals, often worn by motorcycle riders.
- (baseball) A good defensive play
- Jones showed good leather to snare that liner.
- (boxing) A punch.
- (dated, humorous) The skin.
leather (not comparable)
- Made of leather.
- Referring to one who wears leather clothing (motorcycle jacket, chaps over 501 jeans, boots), especially as a sign of sadomasochistic homosexuality.
- French: de cuir
- German: ledern
- Portuguese: de couro
- Russian: ко́жаный
leather (leathers, present participle leathering; past and past participle leathered)
- To cover with leather.
- To strike forcefully.
- He leathered the ball all the way down the street.
- To beat with a leather belt or strap.