- IPA: /lɪˈɡjuːm/, /ˈlɛɡjuːm/
legume (plural legumes)
- The fruit or seed of leguminous plants (as peas or beans) used for food.
- Any of a large family (Fabaceae, syn. Leguminosae) of dicotyledonous herbs, shrubs, and trees having fruits that are legumes or loments, bearing nodules on the roots that contain nitrogen-fixing bacteria, and including important food and forage plants (as peas, beans, or clovers).
- A pod dehiscent into two pieces or valves, and having the seed attached at one suture, as that of the pea.
- French: légume, légumineuse, gousse
- German: Hülsenfrucht
- Portuguese: legume
- Russian: бобо́вый
- Spanish: legumbre