- (America) IPA: /ˈmæɡnət/
magnet (plural magnets)
- A piece of material that attracts some metals by magnetism.
- (informal, figuratively, preceded by a noun) A person or thing that attracts what is denoted by the preceding noun.
- He always had a girl on his arm – he's a bit of a babe magnet.
- 2007, J. Michael Fay, Ivory Wars: Last Stand in Zakouma, National Geographic (March 2007), 47,
- […] I wanted to show Nick the largest of the water holes, Rigueik, that act as magnets to life in the dry season.
- French: aimant
- German: Magnet
- Italian: magnete, calamita
- Portuguese: ímã
- Russian: магни́т
- Spanish: imán, magnete