- Corn; a type of grain of the species Zea mays.
- A fundamental creative act of American man was the development of maize. For it was maize that made possible and sustained the whole Peruvian civilization as well as Mexican and Central American ones. Exactly where it originated is not known, but corn was found in pre-Mayan graves dating to 3000 B.C.
- French: maïs, blé d'Inde (Canada)
- German: Mais, (Germany (East Central German), Austria) Kukuruz, (southeastern and western Austria, Liechtenstein) Türken, (regional) Türkenkorn, Türkisch Korn, Türkischer Weizen, Welschkorn, (Brazil (Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina)) Milje, n
- Italian: granturco, granoturco, mais
- Portuguese: milho
- Russian: кукуру́за
- Spanish: maíz, elote, choclo (Latin America), millo (Canary Islands)
- A female given name.
- A male given name.