- IPA: /mɑː(ɹ)ˈkiː/
marquee (plural marquees)
- (British, Australia, NZ) A large tent with open sides, used for outdoors entertainment.
- (US) A projecting canopy over an entrance, especially one with a sign that displays the name of the establishment or other information of it.
- (US, by generalization) Lights that turn on and off in sequence, or scrolling text, as these are common elements on a marquee.
- Synonyms: chase lights, chaser lights
- (Internet) A banner on a web page displaying text that scrolls horizontally.
- (computing) In graphical editing software, a special selection tool, used to highlight a portion of an image.
- Synonyms: marching ants
- Rectangular Marquee Tool
- German: Lauftext, Laufschrift
marquee (not comparable)Verb
marquee (marquees, present participle marqueeing; past and past participle marqueed)
- (GUI) To select (an object or region) with the marquee selection tool.