- In a marvellous manner.
- Synonyms: astonishingly, surprisingly, wonderfully
- The plan worked marvellously, even better than we had expected.
- To a great or impressive degree; very.
- Synonyms: impressively, very
- 1899, Knut Hamsun, “Part II”, in George Egerton [pseudonym; Mary Chavelita Dunne Bright], transl., Hunger: Translated from the Norwegian, London: Leonard Smithers and Co. […], OCLC 560168646 ↗; republished New York, N.Y.: Alfred A. Knopf, October 1920 (December 1920 printing), OCLC 189563 ↗, page 99 ↗:
- I groaned with hunger. I had seen a marvellously large penny loaf at a baker's—the largest I could possibly get for the price.