- (British) IPA: /ˌmæstəˈbeɪʃ(ə)n/, /ˌmɑːstəˈbeɪʃ(ə)n/
- (America) enPR: măs'tərbāʹshən, IPA: /ˌmæstɚˈbeɪʃən/
- Manual erotic stimulation of the genitals or other erotic regions, often to orgasm, either by oneself or a partner.
- Masturbation is our first and natural form of sexual activity and if that's inhibited or damaged, then we suffer for the rest of our lives. ―Betty Dodson
- 1603, Michel de Montaigne, chapter 12, in John Florio, transl., The Essayes, […], book II, printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821 ↗:
- Diogenes in sight of all, exercising his Masturbation, bred a longing desire in the bystanders, that in such sort they might fill their bellies by rubbing or clawing the same.
- (figurative) A vain activity.
- French: masturbation, onanisme, branlette (slang)
- German: Masturbation, Onanie, Selbstbefriedigung
- Italian: masturbazione
- Portuguese: masturbação, punheta (slang)
- Russian: мастурба́ция
- Spanish: masturbación, paja (slang)