- IPA: /mæt/
matte (plural mattes)
- (arts, photography) A decorative border around a picture used to inset and center the contents of a frame.
- Synonyms: mat, matting, passe-partout
- The image is a perfect square of 8 cm (with white matte border the total dimensions are 14 cm tall by 11 cm wide).
- (cinema) A background, often painted or created with computers
- Matte painting is a tool that filmmakers can use to create a scene that is impossible to achieve with conventional cinematographic means.
- (pyrometallurgy) The molten metal sulfide phases typically formed during smelting of copper, nickel, and other base metals.
- German: Passepartout
- Portuguese: passe-partout
- Russian: паспарту́
- (American spelling) Dull; not reflective of light.
- Synonyms: matt
- Antonyms: glossy
- Flat or matte paint allows a deep color expression on the walls while also hiding flaws that may be inherent on the painted surface.
- a matte lipstick