- (physics) The branch of physics that deals with the action of forces on material objects with mass
- The design and construction of machines.
- (writing) Spelling and punctuation.
- Operation in general; workings.
- the mechanics of a board game
- 1991, Marilyn Cochran-Smith, Cynthia L. Paris, Jessica L. Kahn, Learning to Write Differently (page 99)
- It was anticipated that children who encountered difficulty with the mechanics of word processing could turn to the coach for help rather than interrupt Margaret's work with a reading group.
- French: mécanique
- German: Mechanik
- Italian: meccanica
- Portuguese: mecânica
- Russian: меха́ника
- Spanish: mecánica
- plural form of mechanic